The Department of Paediatrics at CMRI aims to make a difference to the lives of children and adolescents by recognizing the needs of those between 0 and 18 years of age.
The department provides children and care givers with easy access to the best of paediatric facilities and services. It blends clinical care with knowledge gained through intensive research to ensure that the stars of tomorrow continue to burn bright as ever.
The department ensures that the healing environment is child-friendly and the mood is sunny. It provides leading edge technology and expertise through a plethora of paediatric services including PICU, NICU, Nephrology, Child Psychology, Childhood Obesity Management, Vaccination Clinic & Neonatal Screening, Pulmonology, Neurology, Surgery and Audiology.
- Elective and Emergency Neonatal Surgery
- General Surgery
- Urology, including Endourology and Reconstructive Urology
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Urodynamic Studies
- Vascular Surgery, including insertion of central lines, ports, Haemodialysis lines and construction of AV fistulae
PICU Facilities and Services
The Calcutta Medical Research Institute was Kolkata’s 1st Hospital to start a dedicated PICU in August 2004
- The PICU has 6 beds of which 4 are Intensive care and 2 high dependency beds.
- Provision to transport sick children from other hospitals.
- Provision to ventilate 4 children at a time in PICU using Servo-I ventilators.
- 6 multi parameter monitors with facilities for invasive and non invasive arterial blood pressure monitoring as well as CVP.
- On site Arterial blood gas machine.
- Round the clock Radiology and Pathology as well as on site CT, MRI and portable Ultrasound and EEG facilities.
- Round the clock bedside echo-cardiography facility and highly trained on call cardiologists
- PICU at the hospital accept referrals from across the city and suburbs. There are on average 400-450 admissions annually. The unit is manned by very experienced PICU trained registrars (round the clock on site) and nursing staffs. The unit follows all latest national and internationally accepted evidence based guidelines to manage children admitted. The intensive care services are supervised by a team of highly experienced consultants trained and educated Internationally.
- Consultants with special interest in Paediatric sub-specialties i.e. Neurology, Pulmonology, Nephrology, Gastroenterology, etc.
- Bronchoscopy, Bedside EEG, ECHO and both Peritoneal and Haemodialysis.
Tertiary Level NICU Services
- Level 3 Neonatal Care
- Comprehensive Support
- Intensive Care, Special Care and Isolation Beds with provision to ventilate babies
- Provision of High Frequency Ventilation
- Management of Grossly Preterm Neonates (24-25 weeks) and Very Low Birth Weight Infants (500 gms)
- Advanced procedures including High Frequency Ventilation, Invasive Monitoring and Exchange Transfusion
- Advanced Neonatal Transport Incubator to transport sick neonates
- Neonatal Dialysis
- Cardiology Referral Services
- Critical Care Nephrology
- Out Patient Services
- Dialysis for Neonates and Children
- Renal Biopsy
- Haemodialysis unit with HD machines
- 24-hr acute Peritoneal Dialysis and Haemodialysis or SLED
- Long-term Peritoneal Dialysis with Tenchkhoff Catheter
- Long-term Haemodialysis with Permacath or AV Fistula
- Ultrasound guided Renal Biopsy
- 24-hr Portable Ultrasound
- Radiology, including MCUG, IVU, CT and MRI
- Renal Isotope scans such as DMSA, DRCG and DTPA