In India, people only visit a doctor upon falling sick, which not only tends to increase their healthcare costs but also simultaneously increases the risk of complications. In this country, people generally believe that preventive diagnostic tests and health check packages are expensive and are not useful. However, the truth is quite the opposite – preventive health packages reduce the overall healthcare costs and also tend to be very useful in preventing complications and enabling early diagnosis of critical diseases and problems such as cancer.
Today, given the lifestyle and diet, people have become more vulnerable to health issues; hence, it is important that one gets regularly screened to avoid complications and also get adequate and timely medical treatment. Not just preventive health checks, it is also important that a person follows a healthy diet, maintains a healthy weight, indulges in balances physical activity, and follows an active lifestyle to keep the growing health problems at bay. Medical health checks aid these and also help to prevent any problems which may arise due to negligence or cure problems that have intensified due to lapse of time.
Hence, it is critical to get regular preventive health check-ups done to be aware of the state-of-well being of the body and to detect health problems at an early stage, making treatment easier and more effective. In case of fatal health problems, regular preventive check-ups help to improve chances of survival and ensure effective recovery. Moreover, there are certain diseases whose progression can be detected only with the help of regular health screenings.
Some reasons that justify preventive healthcare checkups are:
- Preventive checkups reduce the overall healthcare costs in the long-run by timely detecting chronic disease, which could otherwise require very expensive and long treatments. Also, regular health check-up packages are available for cheaper than those check-ups performed when needed.
- These also tend to reduce the risk of existing problems by enabling close monitoring of various health statistics and take preventive action, immediately in case of discrepancies.
- Preventive checkups help to improve health by providing periodic assessment which enables a person to stay alert and avoid triggers of health problems.
- These also help in identifying stress-related problems which could cause serious health issues.
- Such checkups also minimize the overall chances of a person falling sick by providing fact checks and also promoting modifications to avoid intensification of the problem.
While the frequency and type of regular health checkups depend on person-to-person, it is dependent on a lot of factors such as:
- Family history
- Medical history
- Current health problems
- Existing health condition
- Surrounding environment
- Lifestyle choices (smoking, alcohol, diet, etc.)
- Physical activity
Preventive health checkups are available in a wide variety to cater to different situation and needs. Some of the best preventive health check packages in India are listed below:
Best health checkups for Men and Women should include:
- Complete Haemogram, Peripheral Smear and ESR
- Blood Sugar
- Blood Grouping and RH Factor
- Lipid Profile
- Liver Function Test
- Uric acid
- Renal Profile
- Calcium, Serum
- Inorganic Phosphorus, Serum
- Total PSA (Prostate-Specific Antigen)
- Glycosylated Haemoglobin
- Iron Tests
- Stool Routine and Microscopy
- Stool for Occult Blood
- Tread Mill Test (TMT)
- PFT(with /without Broncodialater)
- X-Ray Chest PA/AP View
- Carotid IMT
- Dexa-Bone Spine & Femur study
- Pure Tone Audiogram
Kids and Adolescent
- Stool Ova & Cyst
- Vitamin D
- Lipid Profile
In addition to these, the best hospitals in India provide specific health check packages such as:
- Age-specific health packages (including senior citizen specific health checks)
- Gender-specific health packages
- Fertility check packages
- Cancer packages
- Cardiac Packages
- Diabetic/Obesity Packages
- Renal Packages
Also, an important part of preventive health checkups includes getting some important immunisations that protect against a variety of diseases and problems. Some of these vaccinations include:
- Diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis vaccine (DTaP)
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
- Measles, mumps and rubella (MMR)
These are administered by a certified medical practitioner and are given at different time intervals and intensity.
Overall, preventive health checks are very important to give the vulnerability of the human body towards diseases and health issues. Though, it is important to know the frequency of the test as well as the best type of checkup depending on your age, gender, health conditions, etc. Study the details carefully before opting for a health check package in India.